miércoles, abril 06, 2011

Back to the 80's?

With the release of Natty beta it was time to follow my ritual and make a fresh install of ubuntu beta on my netbook. I was tempted by the Upgrade option than now comes in the Live CD, but I really wanted a fresh install. After some upgrades my desktop looked like this.


A couple of updates later, the desktop turned back to normal (ambiance theme, black panel, etc). 



And after today's update, the horror again! I thinks this is how Unity would look like if we were back to the 80's.


Can someone explain me why Unity is behaving this way?

6 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

I'm on Debian Testing, and every now and then this happens to me, too. Usually it means that the gnome settings daemon has crashed - thus Debian/Ubuntu no longer knows about your theming choices.

Does this only happen after upgrades? Logging out and back in again usually solves it for me.

Anónimo dijo...

I have the same thing. For me the settings daemon is still running, but somehow broke. You can kill it (-9/SIGKILL) then run it manually from a term. Afterwards all your theming is fixed without logging out.

gk dijo...

That's the default built-in gtk theme. This happens when gnome-settings-daemon crashes. Restarting it should fix it.

Anónimo dijo...

I am seeing this all the time in my VirtualBox installation of Natty (strangely not in installations on real hardware):

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-daemon/+bug/733253

Anónimo dijo...

Thanks not Unity!!

Thank has been happening for quite a while with GNOME, and happens from upgrade to upgrade. I've been upgrading since maverick and that happens! (I think even with fresh installs)

Anónimo dijo...

It seems like you have run in to this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-daemon/+bug/588155